Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Glass Factory

Our base is behind this complex. That is the Euphrates river in the foreground. This is where the Iraqi Police recruiting drives have been held in our area. Just outside the base and this factory is the most violent city in Iraq. It needs a military solution much like Fallujah as playing nice is not working (my opinion). This place is a magnet for "undesireable" types, and may be the last bastion for organized insurgent cells. I think if Ramadi could be purged of terrorists and insurgents, it would break their collective back and would jumpstart the political process here.

Alas, I am a lowly E-7 with no power whatsoever. I offer my opinions to the wind. I do think that as a Brigade we have made progress and the effort has been worthwhile. I have to think that way as I'd like to think the families of soldiers we have lost will find some comfort in their loved ones sacrifice. Hopefully they (we) will be able to look back on this 20 years from now and say it was worth it. I look at the pictures of soldiers that made the ultimate sacrifice evey day and thank them. I will never forget them.

I am very proud of the soldiers we brought here. Every one of them. They impress me every day. I am proud to have served with them. I will do my best to bring them all home. KT Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say thank you for those great words it means alot. You are all doing a great job and cant wait for all of you to come home.
Chris' MOM

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the factory still producing glass?

9:59 PM  
Blogger 1SG Kevin Thompson said...

You are welcome Chris' mom! He is a great kid, a little odd but very professional. He didn't stay quiet for long

No, the glass factory was shut down before we got here. It abuts the base so I think the initial forces here closed it. It produces Iraqi Police now...

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ODD?!?!

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home